Sunday, September 21, 2008

Spanish is hard....?

For those of you who don't know, I'm working on my 10Th year of Spanish. Intense right?? When people hear that they often say things like " why?" "how did you do that?" "I don't see how you understand it" "I hate Spanish it doesn't make sense to me its SOOO hard!!" and the classic "can you speak it fluently???"

well, to answer the questions is a because I'm interested/credits, I went to Russell Dougherty where we started Spanish in kindergarten, when you take Spanish for soooo long you start to find that it's all kinda the same (and I can see where they don't understand it considering it's a whole different language ;), Spanish really isn't as hard as it seems, we just don't want to take the time to commit to it and aren't really forced to learn it, annnnd no, I'm really not all that great at Spanish. Sure, I can speak it if I have to, but other than that you wont find me rambling strange things walking down the hall :)

I had an AMAZING Spanish teacher last year, Mrs. Romburger. She showed us a poem at one time and explained, " I don't understand why you guys whine sooo much about Spanish, when English is the most complex language you could possibly try to learn." And the fact is that she is right! Once you get the basic structure of Spanish, it's pretty simple. English on the other hand is a tad more difficult. Here is the poem she showed us:

HINTS OF PRONUNCIATION FOR FOREIGNERS:

I take it you already know
of tough and bough and cough and dough?
-doe?
Others may stumble but not you,
on hiccough, rough, laugh and through.
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead; it's said like bed not bead-
for goodness' sake don't call it "deed"!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt)
A moth is not a moth in mother
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.
And here is not a match for there
Nor dear and rear for bear and pear,
And then there's dose and rose and lose -
Just look them up - and goose and choose.
And cork and work and card and ward.
and font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart-
Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd mastered it when I was five.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

So how did you do it? ...lol just kidding, and by the way I did know that you were in your 10th year of spanish ;)

Mandy said...

that's an awesome poem! I never thought spanish was that hard, i just got tired of it. people say the same thing to me about latin. i'm in my 5th year and LOVE it. it's pretty basic. VERY few exceptions to any rule.