Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Thanks for the Replay

*I seem to have a lot of stories to tell about golf....*

Today we were practicing on the driving range. Being that It was gusting like 100 MPH....Ok maybe only like 30....but either way it's REALLY windy. Recently I have been working on not having my shots hook/fade. (This is when your drive goes either completely right, or goes straight then at the very end turns right) It's very annoying. It cuts back on a lot of distance, and I'm pretty sure my drives can go further than 120 yards!!

So for an hour I worked with my coach on my stance, back swing, follow through, hand position, distance from the ball, and finally my wrist action :) By the end of the drive session, I finally had my drives going straight!!! (except for the occasional gusts of wind.....)

Coach Mallet told us to keep 6 golf balls. Finally she calls the "big girls" over for the (and I quote)

"WEEEELLLLLCOOME! To the 2008 chipping challenge! First up on the tee will be Sarah and Lindsey!!!"

The goal of the game was to pitch the ball to the first "green" area and have it stay. You got a point if you made it up....Sounds easy, right?

WRONG!

You see, the big girls used to be freshman once, so it's their duty to make everyone miserable, especially the freshman that are mini "big girls". lol

So what do the "big girls" decide to do? Allow me to give an example:

Well, here we are folks, and this is the event of a lifetime. We have Jordan Garrett, standing a full 5 foot 3 inches..."5 foot 4 thank you :)"...oh ok...5 foot 4...preparing to take her first attempt at the green. She is taking some marvelous practice swings, ladies and gentlemen. Now, Jordan has come all the way from South LA!!! Oh yes, she's from the out of the hood program. Oh wait...here is her swing....THE BACK SWING!! ANNNND.....oh...and it shanks off to the right, what a disappointment for her.

Well, it was pretty much impossible to do ANYTHING but laugh and attempt a decent chip shot :)

Haha...Now I don't know about you, but when put under that kind of pressure I don't perform to my greatest ability.

Now here is my question to you: Have you ever been in a situation where you were pressured? What did you do to overcome it? orr bear it?

3 comments:

Taylor Hale said...

The spanish final last year... I had the whole thing memorized, and then I completely cracked... I forgot it all. I don't do well under pressure. I tend to forget things I've memorized. But now all I have to do is think, no one's here. Mom and dad (or everyone in some cases) are gone, and I can sing at the top of my lungs if I want to... I really do that when my parents are away. :) LOL

Jacob said...

haha ohh chipping :)

Well tomorrow night is open auditions for the church's worship team, and I'm sure I'll be put under some pressure. Soo yeah pray for me! haha.

Jordan Garrett said...

Taylor- oh my gosh...you guys had it easy!!! we had to look at a picture, got one minute to think about it, then talk about it for 3 minutes. NIGHTMARE! But i understand the pressure of it...i hate having to remmeber things and be put on the spot too.

Jake-oh wow! good luck! def. prayin' for ya!